Skip to content
March Garden Tips
In the Veggie Patch
- Give citrus a side dressing of sheep pellets or citrus fertiliser
- It's the start of winter vegetable growing: plant out cabbage, Chinese cabbage, broccoli, tatsoi, and spring onion seedlings
- Winter flowers for the vegetable patch that can be sown now: calendulas and Iceland poppies
- Plant out a crop of spinach as it grows better when it is not so hot.
- De-thatch your lawn if necessary and over-sow thin areas of the lawn with the appropriate seed, and our recommended fertiliser, ProLawn Turfmaster Starter.
The rest of the Garden
- Fertilise the garden with ProLawn Garden Supreme
- Continue to deadhead roses, but avoid cutting them back hard
- Plant out autumn-toned shrubs and flowers to complement the autumn colour ahead: orange flowered day-lilies and bright foliage shrubs such as heucheras and NZ coprosmas
- Prune hedges and topiaries and fertilise.